This article is a quality article.
North American box art
|Developer(s)||Next Level Games|
|Release date|| JP July 23, 2009|
NA May 18, 2009
EU May 22, 2009
AUS August 27, 2009
|Media||Wii Optical Disc|
|Input methods|| [Wii Remote]
[Wii Nunchuck] [Wii Balance Board]
Punch-Out!! (パンチアウト!! Panchi-Auto!!?) is the title of the most recent game in the Punch-Out!! series. It was developed by Canadian game developer Next Level Games, released on the Wii and published by Nintendo. It was first revealed at Nintendo's conference on October 2, 2008. It was released on May 18, 2009, but was released on May 16th at the Nintendo World Store launch party. In an interview on October 9, 2008, Charlie Scibetta, Senior Director of Corporate Communications for Nintendo of America, confirmed motion control will be used in this game. NES-style controls were also confirmed to be in the game.
- #4 Glass Joe
- #2 Von Kaiser
- #1 Disco Kid
- Champion: King Hippo
- #3 Piston Hondo
- #2 Bear Hugger
- #1 Great Tiger
- Champion: Don Flamenco
- #4 Aran Ryan
- #2 Bald Bull
- Champion: Mr. Sandman
Once Mac becomes the champion, it's up to him to defend his title. All of the boxers he fought before will now challenge him for the title, with new moves and tricks, and are much harder to defeat. The "circuits" are split into World B, World A, and World S, containing the boxers from the Minor, Major, and World Circuits, respectively.
Mac's Last Stand is the "epilogue" of the game, simply put. After beating TD Mr. Sandman, Little Mac decides to retire with a bang: fight every boxer he has ever faced in random, repeating order until he loses three times. It is likely that you will encounter Donkey Kong in this mode. If you lose 3 matches, Little Mac will lose his champion belt and retire. The game must then be started all over from the beginning. If you manage to fight 10 opponents without losing, you unlock a toggled Exhibition setting called Champions Mode. In this mode, the red flashes a character makes when he is about to attack and the yellow flashes he makes when a star punch is available are gone, and any hit from an opponent is an Instant Knockdown.
- Lord of Games: Donkey Kong
- This is so far the only game to have most foreign characters speak different languages besides English.
- When Mac loses the first time, Doc will tell him he can practice against his current opponent in Exhibition as a hologram that can not tire Mac or hurt him.
- This is the first game in the Punch-Out!! series in 15 years, when Super Punch-Out!! was released.
- If Mac loses to any fighter in career mode, the opponent's win record is increased (like if Mac losses to Glass Joe at least once, his record will go from 1-99 to 2-99) (though the opponent's record remains as the original in exhibition). This does not apply to Mac's last stand or Exhibition.
- Princess Peach from the Mario series was initially planned to be an opponent in this game, though she was scrapped due to the possible negative reception that could stem from having violence against women in the game.
|Games||Micro vs. System: Punch-Out!! · Arcade: Punch-Out!! · Super Punch-Out!! · Arm Wrestling · NES: Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream · SNES: Super Punch-Out!! · Wii: Punch-Out!! · Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!|
|Circuits||Minor Circuit · Major Circuit · World Circuit · Special Circuit|
|Terminology||Block · Dodge · Duck · Knockout · Technical knockout|